Saturday, July 17, 2010

Plateaus

This week's meeting topic is a two parter about the dreaded PLATEAU! 

For most people it seems like an inevitable stop on the weight loss bus ride.  Not everyone hits a plateau, but many people do.  So how do you know you're on a plateau?  There are two different indicators you can use to determine this.  First one : you have had no weight loss or gain for a minimum of 3 consecutive weeks or longer.  The second method : take your losses/gains for the last four weeks add them together, then divide by 4.  If this number is 0.5 or higher... you are not on a plateau, just loosing very slowly!

I can assure you with my numbers over the last 4 weeks that I am on a plateau!

So how do we deal with this plateau in terms of our feelings and emotions?  At a point like this when you don't see the progress you want (or you think you deserve) its easy to give in, stop trying, fill your face, and sit on your behind!  For me the key is to remind myself of where I was just over 2 years ago!


Two years ago I was over 200 lbs on a 5ft 2in frame.  My feet were a mess!  My back hurt!  Needless to say I was short, fat and inactive.  I try to remind myself that I lost 60lbs, that I went from a size 20 to a size 8, that I now own a bikini (need to loose a few to wear it again), that I can run 10K, how much easier my TKD classes are, and of course look at before and after pictures!  Most importantly : I AM NEVER GOING BACK THERE! 

So I get myself back on program, I make sure I fulfil all my daily requirements (water, fruit & veg, healthy oils, protein, whole grains).  I also start weighing and measuring all my portions, they tend to get a little bigger as you get more confident in the program thinking : "I know this like the back of my hand".

Are you frustrated?  On a plateau?  Take the time to remind yourself of all your victories, big or small, scale or non-scale.  Its victories like this that keep us motivated.

Friday's victory : I was offered pizza for lunch ... I turned it down.  Why you may ask?  Am I crazy?  Well not really, I had taken the time to make a nice lunch for myself being Friday I knew I wasn't going to eat it the next day.  Also I already had plans to go out for dinner, two meals out is excessive.

4 comments:

Beatrice said...

I'm so proud of you!!!
This is a good lookin' Blog!
I'm following!

Kimberly said...

Great post, Dani!
Good luck with this... I know that with the way things have gone for me so far, I may be in for a plateau too at some point.
And way to go with the pizza! Yaya for NSVs!

Jo said...

Dani, just testing to see if I can comment now...
(to anyone else - my comment to this postis on Dani's other blog, as I was having trouble commenting)

Jo said...

Hurrah!!! It works!!!