Thursday, June 2, 2011

Weekly Meeting Topic Week 21: Exercise

Sorry I didn't post last week's meeting topic any sooner.  I figured I deserved a break on Sunday, I taught at TKD all night on Monday, Tuesday I had a massage and chilled, Wednesday I wasn't home long until I had to head out to my Ultimate game.  So I've been busy-ish, and definitely getting to bed earlier than I used to.

Last Saturday's meeting topic couldn't of been a more timely one, as the topic was exercise and what was I doing that evening?  Why running my first 10K race that evening!

What can I say about exercise that I haven't said in the past?  Not much, really.  You've heard it before, and you'll hear it again, find an activity that YOU LIKE and go from there... go out and enjoy it!  If you're not used to being active start slow, don't expect to go out and run 5K if you've never run a day in your life and you have bad knees.  Maybe your start is just a walk around the block, then the following week, two laps of the block.  Its a start... and you're moving!  According to the gurus at Weight Watchers they suggest we earn 4-6 exercise points per day.  How long it takes you to earn those points depends on several factors, how much you weigh (obviously someone who weighs more will burn more calories when they walk that block, than the person who has their last few pounds to loose) and what your level of exertion is (low, moderate, high).  Also you don't have to do that activity all at once it can be spread out through the day.  I have to admit I've got to work pretty darned hard to earn 4 points in under 30 minutes!





So what are your EXERSCUSES?
  • Too hot/too cold
  • Don't have the time
  • Bad knees
  • Don't like to sweat
  • Too tired
  • Don't like it
  • Don't like doing it alone
  • Don't like doing it in public
  • Gyms are expensive
  • Its raining outside
  • There's too many bugs
The Martial Artist
The Runner

I've managed to go from being an overweight Taekwon-Do instructor, to a girl within 10lbs of her goal weight (the body just doesn't want to go there no matter how hard I try), now a 3rd Degree Black belt and instructor whose skills have improved because I'm much slimmer.  Not only that, I go to the gym to lift weights, as my previous post proves I'm a runner, and just in the last two weeks I started Ultimate Frisbee (never played before, and scored my first point last night!).  When you read about all the things I do now, remember if you're just started your journey I was where you are now, sitting on my couch shovelling food in my face, not even wanting to try.   I did start out walking for my activity because I couldn't do Taekwon-Do due to a bad food injury that had keep me inactive for a year and a half.  Its taken me over 3 years to get to this point.

2 comments:

Stitchabilities said...

And you have done brilliantly Well done you!!!
I need to get back in to exercising, I started out well, but I have slowly given up. Need to buck my ideas!!!

Karen said...

You have done awesome Dani! I don't know if you realize just how much you inspire me and probably many others as well.

Congrats on your first goal in Ultimate Frizbee!